Help improve healthcare in our community through Georgia’s new tax credit opportunity
Phoebe Sumter Medical Center, Phoebe Worth Medical Center and Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center, which Phoebe manages for the Hospital Authority of Randolph County, are excited to be partnering with the Georgia HEART Hospital Program to implement this exciting new rural hospital tax credit.
Beginning in 2017, Georgia taxpayers can receive a state income tax CREDIT for 70% of the amount they contribute to qualified rural hospital organizations such as Phoebe Sumter Medical Center and Phoebe Worth Medical Center (up to the limits set forth below). When you file your taxes next year, we expect the credit to be even larger. The General Assembly just passed a bill that would increase the credit to 90% for any donations in 2017. That bill is awaiting the governor’s signature.
Taxpayers who itemize deductions on their federal income tax returns will be able to take a charitable income tax deduction for the entire amount of their contributions.
How much can I contribute for a tax credit?
If you pay Georgia income taxes, you are eligible to receive a tax credit for contributing to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center, Phoebe Worth Medical Center and/or Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center as follows:
- Married Filing Jointly – 70% of the amount contributed or $5,000, whichever is less
- Must contribute $7,143 to receive full $5,000 tax credit
- Individual Filer – 70% of the amount contributed or $2,500 per tax year, whichever is less
- Must contribute $3,572 to receive full $2,500 tax credit
- C-Corporation or Trust – 70% of the amount contributed or 75% of your Georgia income tax liability, whichever is less
How do I sign up to contribute?
- Complete and submit your 2017 HEART Tax Credit Form at http://www.georgiaheart.org/georgia-heart-tax-credit-form, or mail a completed copy of the form to:
3740 Davinci Court, Suite 375
Peachtree Corners, Georgia 30092
In the Designated Rural Hospital Organization box be sure to type in either Phoebe Sumter Medical Center, Pheobe Worth Medical Center or Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center.
- Georgia HEART will submit your tax credit pre-approval form on your behalf to the Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR).
- Within 60 days of receiving DOR tax credit pre-approval, send a check made payable to Phoebe Sumter Medical Center, Phoebe Worth Medical Center, Inc. or Southwest Georgia Regional Medical Center to Georgia HEART for deposit to the hospital’s account.
- Georgia HEART will send you confirmation of your contribution and instruct you on how to submit a copy to the DOR.
- Georgia HEART will send you a tax receipt and filing instructions for 2017 tax filing purposes.
Your contribution will increase our hospitals funding and our ability to provide for the healthcare of individuals in our community!
For information about the rural hospital organization expense tax credit, visit the Georgia HEART website at www.georgiaheart.org or contact Georgia HEART staff at email@example.com