Potter Community Center

Potter Community Center; a historic and cherished landmark in Dougherty County

One of Dougherty County's most cherished landmarks also plays a large role in the history of the Phoebe Foundation. In 1989, the South Dougherty Community Center was the first gift bestowed upon the Foundation.

Amenities and Facility Details

  • The Center consists of three large rooms and an open patio. Maximum capacity for a standup function is 400 people. The front Potter room can seat 100. The Connie Mellon Room in the back can seat 150. The sunroom can seat 50. The patio can accommodate 48 people seated.
  • A screened picnic pavilion, named the Bruner Picnic Pavilion, in honor of Robert and Ralph Bruner, area residents who have dedicated much of their time into preserving the history of the center, is equipped with lights, electrical outlets, ceiling fans, and 2 large serving counters. Twenty-Four picnic tables in the pavilion can seat 192 people.
  • The grounds feature camper hook-ups and outside restrooms with hot showers are available.

Rental Contact: 229-436-4940

History of Potter Community Center

The Phoebe Foundation chose to return to the original name of the facility, Potter Community Center.

Situated on approximately 50 acres in a plantation like setting, the facility on Wildfair Road is considered an Albany landmark. The property was donated to the Foundation by the center's board of trustees. Originally constructed for use during field trials, horse shows, dog shows and social events, the center has expanded its services to include weddings, receptions, family reunions and other social functions.

The annual Albany Charity Horse Show, now known as the Albany Autumn Classic was once held on the grounds beginning in the late 1970s and lasting for more than thirty years.

The original Field Trial Club was organized in the early 1930s by Richard Tift and Joe Rosenberg after Judge Robert Bingham made his grounds and facilities available.

Coca Cola founder Robert W. Woodruff was one of the center's earliest visitors, as was golfer Bobby Jones, who won the all age competition of the Southern Amateur field trials in 1936.

The handsome central building was erected in 1958 and named Potter Community Center in honor of William C. Potter, president of the Guarantee Trust Co. Mr. Potter purchased the lands and formed the Blue Springs Plantation, over which parts of the trials, which also spread over to Pineland and Wildfair Plantations, are conducted.

Mr. Tift later donated most of the financing and 28 acres of land on which the center's first building was erected.

In addition to being the site for many hospital-related activities, the center is also put to good use by our area corporations, which lease the facility for board retreats, management seminars and daylong learning workshop activities.

For information about rental rates and schedules call Teresa Kunkle at (229) 436-4940.


wellness watch